Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal.
- ‘Extracorporeal whole body hyperthermia has been utilized for a number of clinical conditions.’
- ‘In some cases, hyperthermia (high body temperature) and convulsions can lead to death, according to NIDA.’
- ‘Thyroid storm is a rare disorder characterized by hypertension, hyperthermia, and multiple systems involvement.’
- ‘Furthermore, the use of hypothermia blankets is associated with large temperature fluctuations and rebound hyperthermia.’
- ‘Dantrolene is used to treat malignant hyperthermia, a condition that bears striking clinical resemblance to NMS.’
Late 19th century: from hyper- beyond + Greek thermē heat.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.