The condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal.
- ‘Dantrolene is used to treat malignant hyperthermia, a condition that bears striking clinical resemblance to NMS.’
- ‘Furthermore, the use of hypothermia blankets is associated with large temperature fluctuations and rebound hyperthermia.’
- ‘In some cases, hyperthermia (high body temperature) and convulsions can lead to death, according to NIDA.’
- ‘Thyroid storm is a rare disorder characterized by hypertension, hyperthermia, and multiple systems involvement.’
- ‘Extracorporeal whole body hyperthermia has been utilized for a number of clinical conditions.’
Late 19th century: from hyper- ‘beyond’ + Greek thermē ‘heat’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.