Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The authors conclude that targeted diabetes screening in hypertensive patients older than 55 years is the most efficient strategy.’
- ‘The key to the successful management of patients with severely elevated BP is to differentiate hypertensive crises from hypertensive urgencies.’
- ‘The study included 1,094 self-identified blacks with hypertensive kidney disease.’
- ‘The patient was hypertensive and had coronary artery disease.’
- ‘A Swedish study in which hypertensive men had higher mortality from cardiovascular disease than non-hypertensive men presented similar findings.’
- ‘A 43 year old female, diabetic, hypertensive patient presented with a two year history of clear left sided nasal discharge which was worse on bending forward.’
- ‘Researchers collected data on 380 pharmacologically treated hypertensive patients who had an ischemic stroke between 1989 and 1996.’
- ‘The patient was last examined 12 months postoperatively and was without hypertensive signs or symptoms.’
- ‘However, these agents are recommended for use in hypertensive patients who already have vascular disease.’
- ‘It is rare for malignant hypertension to cause asymmetric hypertensive retinopathy.’
- ‘An 88-year-old hypertensive man with multiple myeloma was admitted to our hospital because of a right lower lobe pneumonia.’
- ‘The effects of the drugs on clinical outcomes have not been compared in long term clinical trials in hypertensive type 2 diabetic patients.’
- ‘Fifteen children were hypertensive, with the disease in 3 children uncontrolled by diet and the usual antihypertensive drugs.’
- ‘In this way, another study shows that ventilatory responses to hypoxia were higher in hypertensive patients than in normotensive OSA patients.’
A person with high blood pressure.
- ‘In preliminary reports, exercise training in hypertensives leads to regression of left ventricular hypertrophy.’
- ‘You whine about hypertensives and diabetics, but some time calculate how much you make treating them.’
- ‘One study found insufficient sleep can contribute to increased blood pressure in hypertensives.’
- ‘One in four American adults have hypertension, and up to 30% of deaths in hypertensives are attributable to high blood pressure.’
- ‘This rarefaction can be found in young hypertensives and may have a hereditary component.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.