One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for hyperopia
- ‘Just as people have myopia (short sight) and hypermetropia (long sight), Aberropia is another refractive error.’
- ‘Doctors need to be able to distinguish hypermetropia from myopia.’
- ‘The medical name for long-sightedness is hypermetropia.’
- ‘Contact lenses can be used most advantageously to correct myopia, but can also be used for hypermetropia and corneal astigmatism.’
- ‘Apart from testing the eye, they supply booklets detailing eye care with particular reference to refractive errors such as myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism.’
- ‘Photo refractive surgery is another available treatment for hypermetropia, as is laser eye surgery.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek hupermetros ‘beyond measure’ (from huper ‘over, above’ + metron ‘measure’) + ōps ‘eye’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.