Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Severe or prolonged vomiting.‘the clinical practicability is limited by a higher degree of side effects, especially hyperemesis’
- ‘Wernicke's encephalopathy is often associated with alcohol abuse, the processes involved being a lack of adequate oral intake, hyperemesis and malabsorption caused by gastrointestinal lesions.’
- ‘Because of hyperemesis shown by all cases, it was difficult to estimate the amount of sulphadiazine actually absorbed.’
- ‘Short-term effects of IV-CPA pulses include bone marrow suppression and significant hyperemesis.’
- ‘A nasogastric tube may be inserted if the child is vomiting to prevent aspiration and relieve hyperemesis.’
- ‘Cannabinoids have been found to have an antiemetic effect...but paradoxically chronic cannabis use results in hyperemesis.’
- 1.1 Persistent severe vomiting leading to weight loss and dehydration, as a condition occurring during pregnancy.‘hyperemesis gravidarum occurs in approximately 0.5 to 2 per cent of pregnancies’
- ‘Compared to some, I have little to moan about: there are women out there suffering from hyperemesis, which can lead to severe weight loss and dehydration.’
- ‘Hyperemesis is a serious condition; the dehydration that results from repeated nausea and vomiting can put both baby and mother at risk.’
- ‘I was diagnosed as having hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe and constant form of morning sickness.’
- ‘In hyperemesis gravidarum, hospital treatment is often needed to stop the dehydration by giving fluids through an intravenous drip directly into a vein.’
- ‘Throughout my pregnancy I have suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum.’
Mid 19th century: from hyper- above normal + emesis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.