One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in science fiction) a propulsion system for travel in hyperspace.
- ‘Take up screening positions around Nova Fortress and have your hyperdrives slaved to ours.’
- ‘Sir, it will take a few minutes to prime the hyperdrive, and the Helio-Fighters are dropping on ammo.’
- ‘I know more about starship engines and hyperdrives than I ever wanted to know.’
- ‘Propulsion was handled by four cold-fusion engines and the hyperdrive systems were prototype units.’
- ‘It is the hyperdrive that enables vessels to travel at faster-than-light speeds, which amazes my people.’
1950s: from hyper- + drive.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.