One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An excess of cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- ‘Obesity is an independent risk factor for myocardial infarction, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and impaired glucose tolerance.’
- ‘Anyone, even children, with a family history of familial hypercholesterolaemia should have their cholesterol measured.’
- ‘Screening for hypercholesterolemia and coronary artery disease may be appropriate, depending on the clinical picture.’
- ‘People with familial hypercholesterolaemia often die from atherosclerotic heart disease before the age of 40; this is particularly true for men.’
- ‘He has several chronic illnesses, including diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and hypertension.’
Late 19th century: from hyper- ‘above normal’ + cholesterol + -emia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.