Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessive carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, typically caused by inadequate respiration.
- ‘We also computed the number of spikes discharged in each respiratory cycle, at each level of hypercapnia.’
- ‘Adults with cystic fibrosis are susceptible to hypoxemia, hypercapnia, arousal from sleep, and neurobehavioral impairment.’
- ‘These effects include a mild degree of hypoventilation with consequent hypercapnia, and a diminished responsiveness to respiratory stimuli.’
- ‘During a relapse, respiratory muscle weakness can precipitate hypoxemia and hypercapnia of rapid onset.’
- ‘Baseline ventilation was normal, and the respiratory and cardiovascular responses to hyperoxic hypercapnia were normal in the patients.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.