One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A poisonous compound present in henbane, with similar properties to hyoscine.
- ‘Scopolamine and hyoscyamine are most concentrated in the seeds and can cause anticholinergic poisoning in exposed persons.’
- ‘The tropane alkaloids scopolamine and hyoscyamine were extracted and analysed from N. tabacum cultured hairy roots.’
- ‘In all preceding studies, alkaloid production was measured as scopolamine and hyoscyamine only.’
- ‘These plants have in common high concentrations of hyoscyamine, atropine, and scopolamine.’
- ‘There was one drug missing from the roster, and may be the best one of all: Levsin, generic name hyoscyamine.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin hyoscyamus (from Greek huoskuamos ‘henbane’, from hus, huos ‘pig’ + kuamos ‘bean’) + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.