One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for scopolamine
- ‘Healy has a surprising affection for clinically attested, but unproven remedies, as insulin therapy, isoniazid, hyoscine, St. John's Wort, etc.’
- ‘There are also painkilling tablets available that contain the drug, hyoscine (eg Feminax), that may help prevent the muscle contractions.’
- ‘For more serious travel sickness your doctor may prescribe patches containing hyoscine (an anti-nausea drug).’
- ‘Valid data are needed on old molecules that are still widely used in clinical practice (for example, haloperidol or hyoscine).’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin hyoscyamus (see hyoscyamine) + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.