Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A book of hymns.→ hymnary
- ‘Therefore, congregations have had the liberty to choose their own liturgy, including their hymns and hymnals.’
- ‘Start your library by researching other denominational hymnals.’
- ‘Unfortunately, no details were given as to the criteria for selection of the hymnals nor were the hymnals themselves named.’
- ‘You don't need six newly ordained pastors or six hundred new hymnals.’
- ‘This hymn has traditionally been the first hymn in Methodist hymnals since the time of Wesley.’
Of hymns.‘hymnal music’
- ‘The simple lyric and Bass's cooing and humming give the song an almost hymnal quality.’
- ‘Yet, as on ‘Children's Waltz’ and ‘Lullaby’, the wave of pastel, hymnal harmonies are hard to deny on aesthetic grounds.’
- ‘Sounding like a hymnal Fairport Convention, Mangion's lead vocal is buoyed by Varty for help at key moments.’
- ‘And that hymnal quality extends to other cuts such as ‘Roll Away’ and ‘Forgiveness’.’
- ‘Vibraphone and bass sketch the hymnal melody, joined by lush violin figures and soft digital crackle.’
- ‘She invites the audience to sing along to a plaintive, hymnal Rivers of Babylon.’
- ‘Closer ‘Darkened Car’ circles back to the album's hymnal beginnings.’
- ‘Mikkelborg releases sudden blizzards of sound over hymnal backdrops early on.’
- ‘And yes, I've done away with the Christmas song titles, opting more for a hymnal type.’
Late 15th century: from medieval Latin hymnale, from Latin hymnus (see hymn).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.