Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A membrane that partially closes the opening of the vagina and whose presence is traditionally taken to be a mark of virginity.
- ‘Genitalia were noted to be normal externally, but the hymen appeared to be somewhat distorted and scarred with a rather high free edge.’
- ‘Examination of her hymen showed a dilated orifice after initial spasm and inability to relax.’
- ‘Recent or healed lacerations of the hymen and vaginal mucosa may indicate abuse.’
- ‘In the female virgin the entrance to the vagina is often partially blocked by a membranous tissue called the hymen.’
- ‘As with the appendix, most lab coats say the hymen no longer serves much of a biological function.’
- ‘She provides further evidence that on her return to Iran she was suffering from a urinary tract infection and that her hymen was broken.’
- ‘Women have a membrane called the hymen that partially covers the entrance to the vagina.’
- ‘Most women experience discomfort and bleeding the first time they have sexual intercourse due to the stretching or tearing of their hymen.’
- ‘Traditional Muslim social norms associate female virginity, defined by an intact hymen, with honour.’
- ‘Is it the breaking of the hymen, are bones displaced or is it something else?’
- ‘Many of the girls feel that as long as their hymen is intact, they are considered virgins.’
- ‘The hymen was not simply a sign or proof of chastity; rather, being physically ‘intact’ supposedly imparted strength, youth and holiness to the woman.’
- ‘So in essence the damages have very little to do with a tear in the hymen or a tag of the anus.’
- ‘Foster said girls whose hymens had been pierced were considered outcasts.’
- ‘The elders also inspect the girls' vaginas to determine if their hymens are still intact.’
- ‘So, essentially, the hymen is a small bit of skin that may hurt a bit if it is torn somehow, but will go away by itself even if it isn't broken.’
- ‘A thin sheet of tissue with 1 or more holes in it called the hymen partially covers the opening of the vagina.’
- ‘Girls frequently have a membrane called the hymen around the vaginal opening.’
- ‘The hymen can be broken through activities such as wearing tampons or playing sports.’
- ‘I really don't feel like sacrificing my hymen.’
Mid 16th century: via late Latin from Greek humēn membrane.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.