Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument that gives an indication of the humidity of the air.
- ‘The hygroscope measures and records changes in humidity.’
- ‘He also designed the first flight instruments, including anemometers and hygroscopes.’
- ‘The table below details the advantages and disadvantages of electric versus mechanical hygroscopes.’
- ‘Babf crystal exhibits high chemical stability, free of moisture and hygroscopes and has very good mechanical properties.’
- ‘Often the humidity required for bacteria to multiply is found on hygroscope materials.’
- ‘If moisturising is continuous over the hygroscope moisture content then flax can mould even during a couple of days.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.