(of a plant) growing in damp conditions.
- ‘In the case of the hygrophilous species C. macrocarpa and W. radicans, 6 or 12 months' dry storage killed most spores.’
- ‘With the specific exception of river margin faunas, the more fussy hygrophilous species are well represented in Ireland.’
- ‘On the whole, the upland species are very poorly represented, and the same may be said of the especially hygrophilous section of the family.’
- ‘In the valley floors and on hill slopes we have cultivated fields, pastures and, along water streams, hygrophilous riparial woodlands with poplar and willow trees.’
- ‘Seventeen local vegetation types describe 7 main vegetal formations related to mesophilous, hygrophilous and coastal series.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.