Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Conducive to maintaining health and preventing disease, especially by being clean; sanitary.‘hygienic conditions’
sanitary, clean, germ-free, dirt-free, disinfected, sterilized, sterile, antiseptic, aseptic, uninfected, unpolluted, uncontaminated, salubrious, healthy, pure, wholesomesqueaky clean, as clean as a whistleView synonyms
- ‘I attributed my illness directly to the failure of managers, over the years, to ensure clean and hygienic wards.’
- ‘It was very clean and hygienic, well maintained and the food was marvellous by comparison to what I had experienced abroad.’
- ‘Avoidance is the principal medical and hygienic strategy to prevent mold-induced disease.’
- ‘The show has complete solutions for hygienic washrooms and clean pantries.’
- ‘Outbreaks can be controlled to some extent by careful hygienic food handling and maintaining a pure water supply.’
- ‘The places they visit will always be too clean and hygienic.’
- ‘When shredded, the paper makes a clean, dry and hygienic form of animal bedding.’
- ‘The place is so hygienic and clean that one will think that it is a supermarket.’
- ‘In the upper jaw, these teeth sometimes grow so far back that it is almost impossible to maintain them in a hygienic state.’
- ‘Many feel cold and stark, which may seem synonymous with sanitary and hygienic but are not.’
- ‘Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions.’
- ‘Finally, it is up to the public to decide whether they want to live in a clean hygienic and organised place.’
- ‘Keep food under hygienic conditions and thoroughly wash uncooked vegetables in clean water.’
- ‘His question was answered when two burly men, each dressed in clean, hygienic white medical suits.’
- ‘No one has come to check the hygienic or the health situation here.’
- ‘Because the tub circulates air, not water, it is hygienic and easy to clean.’
- ‘The play also highlighted the need for keeping public toilets clean and hygienic.’
- ‘We also noticed that the chopping boards were kept clean and hygienic practices were being observed.’
- ‘The team found most establishments were clean and hygienic standards were acceptable.’
- ‘It will be made of something durable, hygienic and easy to clean.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.