- another term for hydronium ion
- ‘One assumes that it is the hydroxonium ions but is this necessarily the case?’
- ‘The trajectories of movement of the hydroxyl and hydroxonium ions are cycloids.’
- ‘The complex ion is deprotonated, causing the solution to be acidic from the formation of hydroxonium ions H 3 O +.’
- ‘Further down this page, we shall calculate the concentration of hydroxonium ions present in pure water.’
- ‘When acetic acid dissociates in water it loses hydrogen to form the hydroxonium ion, H 3 O +, and the acetate ion.’
1920s: hydroxonium from hydro- (relating to hydrogen) + oxy- + the suffix -onium (from ammonium).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.