One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the action of heated water in the earth's crust.
- ‘There aren't any chemical signs that the recent warming stems from increased undersea hydrothermal activity in the region, says Freeland.’
- ‘We discovered the first hydrothermal field, or vent area, and associated vent ecosystem in the Atlantic Ocean - still one of the largest such fields known.’
- ‘Rapid ascent of hydrothermal fluids derived from shallow-metamorphic and deep-burial diagenetic settings is well known from many sedimentary basins.’
- ‘The hydrothermal fluid introduced only small amounts of water and alkali elements (such as sodium and potassium).’
- ‘In particular, in convective cooling the fluids that infiltrate the rocks lead to extensive thermal metamorphism and hydrothermal alteration in comparison with pure conductive cooling.’
- ‘Upward migration of heated hydrothermal fluids along fault planes may have been aided by seismic pumping.’
- ‘Scientists plot such data to identify the signature of a hydrothermal plume - a geothermal phenomenon that indicates the presence of an underwater vent.’
- ‘‘But four billion years ago a dominant source was impact-generated hydrothermal systems,’ Kling said.’
- ‘This can be due to increasing confining pressure (mechanical compaction), tectonic stress in impervious sediments or hydrothermal activity.’
- ‘It contains structures called hydrothermal (hot water) vents, which spew superheated fluids into the seawater.’
- ‘Some scientists lump ocean water with meteoric, whereas others regard it as a separate type of water in hydrothermal systems.’
- ‘The chemical nature of these hydrothermal solutions was determined by the composition of the basalt, the length of contact with the basalt, and the temperature.’
- ‘In the crystallization sequence from hydrothermal solutions, calcite is typically a late and low-temperature crystallizing mineral.’
- ‘Alpine-cleft deposits develop in an existing open gash in which hydrothermal fluid infiltrates and recrystallizes the surrounding rock.’
- ‘‘This is the first deep-sea hydrothermal community ever discovered that is dominated by eels’ said Young.’
- ‘A recent survey along a midocean ridge beneath the Arctic icepack unveiled an unexpected abundance of hydrothermal activity.’
- ‘The original minerals in these rocks have been altered to new minerals by chemical replacement through interaction with the ore-forming hydrothermal fluids.’
- ‘Vein gold is deposited by hot subterranean water known as a hydrothermal fluid.’
- ‘Because hydrothermal water is rich in certain metals, like manganese, an increase in the concentration in a sample can point to a vent.’
- ‘Bulgaria is famous around the world for the uniqueness, variety and abundance of its hydrothermal, bioclimatic, mud treatment, sea cure, and other health resources.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.