One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of mechanics concerned with the hydrostatic properties of liquids.
- ‘Gregory also lectured at Edinburgh on mechanics and hydrostatics.’
- ‘He developed the science of hydrostatics and invented the Archimedes screw, a device used to lift water.’
- ‘He adopted a new basis for hydrostatics, using two principles from his mechanics, and explained for the first time how a heavy beam can be floated in very little water.’
- ‘The first volume covered dynamics, mechanics, hydrostatics, hydraulics, aerostatics, and pneumatics.’
- ‘The syllabus included mechanics, hydrostatics, optics, and astronomy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.