Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of mechanics concerned with the hydrostatic properties of liquids.
- ‘Gregory also lectured at Edinburgh on mechanics and hydrostatics.’
- ‘The first volume covered dynamics, mechanics, hydrostatics, hydraulics, aerostatics, and pneumatics.’
- ‘He developed the science of hydrostatics and invented the Archimedes screw, a device used to lift water.’
- ‘The syllabus included mechanics, hydrostatics, optics, and astronomy.’
- ‘He adopted a new basis for hydrostatics, using two principles from his mechanics, and explained for the first time how a heavy beam can be floated in very little water.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.