One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The process of growing plants in sand, gravel, or liquid, with added nutrients but without soil.
- ‘Don't forget alternatives like hydroponics, water gardens, air gardens etc.’
- ‘A group of urban youngsters has turned a vacant piece of ground into a viable vegetable farm using hydroponics.’
- ‘When Barkman began to turn his attention to raising greenhouse vegetables, he started researching hydroponics which struck him as the best way to proceed.’
- ‘He said processes such as hydroponics and growboxes are big cash generators but require start-up capital.’
- ‘He later branched into dog-breeding and vegetables grown by hydroponics.’
1930s: from hydro- ‘of water’ + Greek ponos ‘labor’ + -ics.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.