Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The process of growing plants in sand, gravel, or liquid, with added nutrients but without soil.
- ‘He said processes such as hydroponics and growboxes are big cash generators but require start-up capital.’
- ‘He later branched into dog-breeding and vegetables grown by hydroponics.’
- ‘Don't forget alternatives like hydroponics, water gardens, air gardens etc.’
- ‘When Barkman began to turn his attention to raising greenhouse vegetables, he started researching hydroponics which struck him as the best way to proceed.’
- ‘A group of urban youngsters has turned a vacant piece of ground into a viable vegetable farm using hydroponics.’
1930s: from hydro- of water + Greek ponos labor + -ics.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.