One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A microphone which detects sound waves under water.
- ‘The fish were caught locally and transferred to large laboratory tanks where their behavior was monitored using hydrophones and infrared video cameras.’
- ‘From seven boats, the scientists lowered hydrophones - underwater microphones - to a depth of about 1,500 feet.’
- ‘Seismic waves are detected by instruments known as geophones when used on land or hydrophones in water.’
- ‘But most research to date has used underwater microphones, called hydrophones, to study the collection of sounds produced by various groups - not individuals.’
- ‘The tag encodes the data as a series of ultrasonic pulses transmitted through the water column from a hydrophone and are decoded by a receiver on a ship.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.