Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chemical breakdown of a compound due to reaction with water.
- ‘Another preparation method involves acid hydrolysis of methyl formate.’
- ‘On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.’
- ‘When hydrolysis occurs, we will write a chemical equation to describe it, and new species will be formed in solution.’
- ‘Digestion breaks down chemical bonds in a process called enzymatic hydrolysis.’
- ‘Again, they used partial acid hydrolysis of the whole chain and then protease digestion to give larger blocks.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.