Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chemical breakdown of a compound due to reaction with water.
- ‘When hydrolysis occurs, we will write a chemical equation to describe it, and new species will be formed in solution.’
- ‘Again, they used partial acid hydrolysis of the whole chain and then protease digestion to give larger blocks.’
- ‘Digestion breaks down chemical bonds in a process called enzymatic hydrolysis.’
- ‘Another preparation method involves acid hydrolysis of methyl formate.’
- ‘On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.