Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The science of surveying and charting bodies of water, such as seas, lakes, and rivers.
- ‘That opened a period of intense growth in scientific knowledge in the area of steamship mechanics, shipbuilding, hydrography and shipboard artillery.’
- ‘He said: ‘I am very conscious of the excellent leadership of the nation's hydrography by my predecessors.’’
- ‘He was the founder of modern oceanography and hydrography.’
- ‘His work was both of a military and of a scientific nature, often combining these two aspects in his work on hydrography and cartography.’
- ‘Samples were grouped in several distinct clusters that were generally consistent with the hydrography of the area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.