Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Charge with or cause to combine with hydrogen.
- ‘Any food containing partially hydrogenated oil is loaded with trans fat.’
- ‘There are also hydrogenated and fractionated coconut oils.’
- ‘Only later did research shed light on grim effects of the partially hydrogenated oil in margarine, with results such as higher incidences of heart disease.’
- ‘Look for a brand without added fat, partially hydrogenated oils or additives and preservatives.’
- ‘The oils are hydrogenated - that is, hydrogen is added - in order to make them solid.’
- ‘Trans fats are produced when vegetable oils are hydrogenated into soft solids.’
- ‘Manufacturers hydrogenate oil to make it solid and literally twist the molecule into a form that wreaks havoc in the body.’
- ‘High cholesterol can be caused by a diet high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats and hydrogenated vegetable oils.’
- ‘That's margarine, vegetable shortening, partially hydrogenated oils, polyunsaturated vegetable oils.’
- ‘The protein as well as the crystallisation solution were hydrogenated.’
- ‘Plant stanols are produced by hydrogenating sterols.’
- ‘They are also present in hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils found in processed foods.’
- ‘Artificially hardened vegetable oils (called trans fats or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils) are worse than saturated fats.’
- ‘Gram for gram, trans fat - essentially hydrogenated oil - is probably the most toxic food ingredient in the food supply.’
- ‘If the saturated tropical oils don't get you, the partially hydrogenated vegetable oils will.’
- ‘This involves the addition of hydrogen to the carbon chain thereby removing the double bonds and producing hydrogenated vegetable oils.’
- ‘Most restaurants use partially hydrogenated vegetable oils for deep frying.’
- ‘But the key thing is, I don't like partially hydrogenated oils - those are the bad fats.’
- ‘Manufacturers hydrogenate soybean oil to reduce its content of unsaturated fatty acids, particularly linolenic acid, the primary culprit responsible for causing food to become stale or rancid.’
- ‘And beef is a source of trans fat because cows hydrogenate fat in their stomachs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.