Any of a class of partly chlorinated and fluorinated hydrocarbons, used as an alternative to chlorofluorocarbons in foam production, refrigeration, and other processes.
- ‘To exploit this opportunity, companies are setting up new manufacturing unit for hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs).’
- ‘Environmentally safe alternatives, such as carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons and hydrofluorocarbons, will serve as blowing agents instead.’
- ‘The appliance, automotive and building industries have switched from freons to hydrofluorocarbons for home refrigerators, car air conditioners and cooling systems in commercial buildings.’
- ‘These compounds are called hydrofluorocarbons and are not as destructive to the earth's protective layer.’
- ‘The discovery highlights yet another set of economic, environmental and political problems - namely, what to do about hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs).’