Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An acidic and extremely corrosive solution of the liquid hydrogen fluoride in water.
- ‘Toxic gases may be emitted, and poisoning from carbon monoxide, hydrofluoric acid, and sulphur dioxide can occur.’
- ‘Selected hand-picked samples were analyzed after being dissolved (typically using hydrofluoric acid for silicates and concentrated nitric acid for phosphates).’
- ‘White quartz frequently coats the fluorite crystals and can be removed with hydrofluoric acid.’
- ‘As I reached to touch it, I learned that the ‘water’ was actually frozen hydrofluoric acid.’
- ‘But if you're going to be precise, hydrofluoric acid is a water solution of hydrogen fluoride, HF.’
hydrofluoric acid/ˌhīdrəˌflo͝orik ˈasəd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.