One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An acidic, extremely corrosive solution of the liquid hydrogen fluoride in water.
- ‘Toxic gases may be emitted, and poisoning from carbon monoxide, hydrofluoric acid, and sulphur dioxide can occur.’
- ‘As I reached to touch it, I learned that the ‘water’ was actually frozen hydrofluoric acid.’
- ‘But if you're going to be precise, hydrofluoric acid is a water solution of hydrogen fluoride, HF.’
- ‘White quartz frequently coats the fluorite crystals and can be removed with hydrofluoric acid.’
- ‘Selected hand-picked samples were analyzed after being dissolved (typically using hydrofluoric acid for silicates and concentrated nitric acid for phosphates).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.