Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex and used medicinally to treat inflammation resulting from eczema and rheumatism.→ cortisol
- ‘In a randomized control study of 32 patients, researchers successfully demonstrated a response to low-dose hydrocortisone.’
- ‘Regulation of the hormone hydrocortisone means that the ginseng helps control metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, sodium, potassium, protein, fluids and inflammation.’
- ‘These drugs mimic the effects of the hormones cortisone and hydrocortisone, which are naturally produced by your adrenal glands.’
- ‘Cortisol, also called hydrocortisone, is one of the most potent of the glucocorticoids.’
- ‘In fact, in the 1940s, up until the introduction of steroids such as hydrocortisone, fatty acids were the primary treatment for eczema.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.