One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound of hydrogen and carbon, such as any of those which are the chief components of petroleum and natural gas.
- ‘The squad checks the autorickshaw for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.’
- ‘Nitrogen oxides can react with hydrocarbons to yield nitric acid, a primary ingredient in acid rain.’
- ‘Derived chiefly from petroleum and coal tar, aromatic hydrocarbons tend to be reactive.’
- ‘Biodiesel reduces emissions such as carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons and particulate matter.’
- ‘This catalyst is responsible for converting carbon monoxide and the other hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.