A compound of hydrogen and carbon, such as any of those which are the chief components of petroleum and natural gas.
- ‘Derived chiefly from petroleum and coal tar, aromatic hydrocarbons tend to be reactive.’
- ‘Biodiesel reduces emissions such as carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons and particulate matter.’
- ‘This catalyst is responsible for converting carbon monoxide and the other hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide.’
- ‘Nitrogen oxides can react with hydrocarbons to yield nitric acid, a primary ingredient in acid rain.’
- ‘The squad checks the autorickshaw for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.