Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compound of hydrogen and carbon, such as any of those that are the chief components of petroleum and natural gas.
- ‘Biodiesel reduces emissions such as carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons and particulate matter.’
- ‘Nitrogen oxides can react with hydrocarbons to yield nitric acid, a primary ingredient in acid rain.’
- ‘This catalyst is responsible for converting carbon monoxide and the other hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide.’
- ‘Derived chiefly from petroleum and coal tar, aromatic hydrocarbons tend to be reactive.’
- ‘The squad checks the autorickshaw for carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.