One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strongly acidic solution of the gas hydrogen iodide in water.
- ‘The principal chemicals are ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, hydriodic acid, and red phosphorus.’
- ‘In the method of the present invention, the hydriodic acid is administered orally, as hydriodic syrup.’
- ‘There are three essential chemicals required for this method of methamphetamine production: Ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, hydriodic acid and red phosphorous.’
- ‘In this way, by adding phosphorus to the reaction mixture, hydrogen iodide is recycled and the reducing efficiency of hydriodic acid is enhanced.’
- ‘The hydriodic acid is then distilled.’
Early 19th century: hydriodic from a blend of hydrogen and iodine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.