One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A binary compound of hydrogen with a metal.
- ‘Metal hydrides can store hydrogen at close to atmospheric pressure, but are too heavy for many uses.’
- ‘One of the problems with metal hydride is that the stored hydrogen is chemically bound to the metal.’
- ‘Lithium aluminum hydride is an important reducing agent in organic chemistry.’
- ‘The oxides, hydrides, and halides are volatile covalent compounds that have low melting points.’
- ‘The hydride is a complex alloy of rare-earth elements and other metals that may be decomposed and reformed reversibly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.