One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The forcing open of fissures in subterranean rocks by introducing liquid at high pressure, especially to extract oil or gas.
- ‘The technique involves drilling several metres below the casing shoe, and then pumping drilling mud into the well while monitoring the surface pump pressure for indications of hydraulic fracturing.’
- ‘This in some condition may lead to excess pore pressure in the core, resulting in hydraulic fracturing of the dam.’
- ‘Progressive intrusion and hydraulic fracturing gave rise to local brecciation of the banded rocks.’
- ‘They are the leading practitioner of a process used in extracting oil and gas known as hydraulic fracturing, in which benzene is injected into underground formations.’
- ‘This process, which is analogous to hydraulic fracturing, causes the rock mass to dilate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.