Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The forcing open of fissures in subterranean rocks by introducing liquid at high pressure, especially to extract oil or gas.
- ‘This process, which is analogous to hydraulic fracturing, causes the rock mass to dilate.’
- ‘Progressive intrusion and hydraulic fracturing gave rise to local brecciation of the banded rocks.’
- ‘They are the leading practitioner of a process used in extracting oil and gas known as hydraulic fracturing, in which benzene is injected into underground formations.’
- ‘This in some condition may lead to excess pore pressure in the core, resulting in hydraulic fracturing of the dam.’
- ‘The technique involves drilling several metres below the casing shoe, and then pumping drilling mud into the well while monitoring the surface pump pressure for indications of hydraulic fracturing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.