One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The forcing open of fissures in subterranean rocks by introducing liquid at high pressure, especially to extract oil or gas.
- ‘They are the leading practitioner of a process used in extracting oil and gas known as hydraulic fracturing, in which benzene is injected into underground formations.’
- ‘This process, which is analogous to hydraulic fracturing, causes the rock mass to dilate.’
- ‘Progressive intrusion and hydraulic fracturing gave rise to local brecciation of the banded rocks.’
- ‘The technique involves drilling several metres below the casing shoe, and then pumping drilling mud into the well while monitoring the surface pump pressure for indications of hydraulic fracturing.’
- ‘This in some condition may lead to excess pore pressure in the core, resulting in hydraulic fracturing of the dam.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.