One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A modified pore, especially on a leaf, which exudes drops of water.
opening, orifice, aperture, hole, outlet, inlet, ventView synonyms
- ‘Another way of disposing of excess salt may be to lose salt from the hydathodes, which release water at times of low transpirational water loss, such as at night.’
- ‘Indeed, activity, although low, was detected in cotyledon veins and tips and also in leaf veins, trichomes, and hydathodes.’
- ‘The hydathode is a specialized structure involved in secretion of water under high humidity.’
- ‘The three main veins fused at the leaf tip leading to an epithem hydathode.’
- ‘We analyzed the results as an estimate of the number of hydathodes, which is known to differ between juvenile and adult leaves.’
Late 19th century: from Greek hudōr, hudat- ‘water’ + hodos ‘way’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.