Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for heterosis
- ‘We therefore think that the results are more easily explained if immigrant genes are selectively favored, for instance, by hybrid vigor, which has been shown for one of the metapopulations.’
- ‘The molecular basis of hybrid vigor has remained unknown despite the importance of this phenomenon in evolution and in practical breeding programs.’
- ‘Utilization of hybrid vigor or heterosis has been successful in cross-pollinated crops, of which maize is a primary example.’
- ‘This phenomenon is commonly denoted as midparent heterosis of hybrid vigor.’
- ‘The causes of inbreeding depression and the converse phenomenon of heterosis or hybrid vigor remain poorly understood despite their scientific and agricultural importance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.