One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
smooth, mirror-like, glass-like, gleaming, shining, shiny, sheeny, glossy, polishedView synonyms
- ‘The wall of Cloquet's canal consists of multifenestrated sheaths, previously basal lamina of hyaloid artery.’
- ‘The hyaloid artery lies in the hyaloid canal, or canal of Cloquet, and is a branch of the central artery of the retina, or one of its retinal distribution.’
- ‘Some floaters are remnants of the hyaloid artery, which usually disintegrates before birth.’
- ‘The lips of the choroidal fissure, containing the hyaloid vessels, are fused or nearly so.’
- ‘The hyaloid vasculature is a transient embryonic vascular bed which is complete at birth in mammals and regresses contemporaneously with the formation of the retinal vasculature.’
Mid 19th century: from French hyaloïde, or via late Latin from Greek hualoeidēs ‘like glass’, from hualos ‘glass’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.