One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in newborn babies in which the lungs are deficient in surfactant, preventing their proper expansion and causing the formation of hyaline material in the lung spaces.Also called respiratory distress syndrome
- ‘Neonatal pneumonia can closely mimic hyaline membrane disease clinically, and is the most frequent cause of septicemia in neonate.’
- ‘Adequate prenatal care and early intervention in this case may have avoided not only the fetal morbidity and mortality secondary to congenital syphilis, but the prematurity and hyaline membrane disease as well.’
- ‘The patient had a history of hyaline membrane disease that was treated initially with three doses of Survanta artificial surfactant and steroids.’
- ‘A significant cause of death in premature infants and, on occasion, in full term infants is respiratory distress syndrome or hyaline membrane disease.’
- ‘At autopsy, there was extensive acute hyaline membrane disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.