One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A narrow lane or alleyway in a traditional residential area of a Chinese city, especially Beijing.
- ‘Where there is a hutong, there is a story.’
- ‘We met Shen Mai, or Snow Plum Blossom, a young woman in her early 30s who has lived in the same house in the same hutong all her life.’
- ‘There are tens of thousands of hutongs surrounding the Forbidden City.’
- ‘I have always lived in a hutong, a traditional Beijing alley.’
- ‘In the 1950s, hutongs covered 11 million square metres.’
- ‘The gradual decline of the hutongs was furthered in the period 1974-86 by the construction of tall buildings on company premises in the courtyards, replacing many old houses.’
- ‘Thousands of people can live in a hutong which is made up of hundreds of quadrangular courtyards each surrounded by four homes.’
- ‘The Courtyard, a traditional unique folk house in the hutongs, has a long history in Chinese architecture.’
- ‘The area of dilapidated hutongs was only 800,000 square meters.’
- ‘At the same time, extra parking lots could be provided in the vicinity of the hutongs.’
- ‘Among people living in the same hutong there exists a very special degree of familiarity.’
- ‘I've gone walking in a hutong during lunch hour in spring.’
- ‘Last week I visited some friends in the evening, in a tiny little hutong near the Drum Tower.’
- ‘Beside every high-rise tower still lie the hutongs, cramped alleyways of communal housing without clean water or electricity.’
- ‘Thus the future of the hutongs has become a lively public debate.’
- ‘There are very few lights in a hutong at night.’
- ‘Outside the temple you may find some locals who will offer their rickshaw hutongs tours.’
- ‘We went through a hutong or alley in Old Beijing.’
- ‘On October 16, he became perhaps Beijing's oldest resident to take the plunge into business, opening a little shop in a hutong just behind Qianmen.’
- ‘I grew up in the old hutongs (alleyways) of Beijing.’
Chinese hútòng, probably from Mongolian gudum.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.