One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Money paid to someone to prevent them from disclosing embarrassing or discreditable information.
payment, payout, reward, recompense, considerationView synonyms
- ‘Perish the thought that the cash flow might tacitly function as hush money.’
- ‘You talked earlier about how a small sum like $10,000 couldn't be considered hush money.’
- ‘Not knowing what else to do, the sites paid up the hush money for a license, and were allowed back online.’
- ‘And as the architect of the scheme, I would be fêted and richly rewarded, and would retire in luxury on my hush money.’
- ‘We had been paying her hush money for four years.’
- ‘However, there are requests for money to meet expenses related to hush money, fees, taxes and assorted payments to sundry individuals.’
- ‘He demanded $60 million hush money to prevent the filing of the sexual harassment lawsuit.’
- ‘Was this just charity, or was it payment for services rendered or some kind of hush money?’
- ‘His decision was rational in the way that hush money is often rational - the briber would rather pay the money than have the information revealed.’
- ‘Allegations his lawyers had offered hush money to a prosecution witness were never substantiated.’
- ‘Defendants demanded $60 million in hush money to keep quiet and never once lowered this outrageous, extortionate demand.’
- ‘But because prostitution is illegal, brothel owners pays no taxes, instead giving regular bribes and hush money to corrupt policemen.’
- ‘The two men are paid compensation and hush money by the mine owners over the deaths.’
- ‘Their only job appears to be collect their hush money.’
- ‘Word got back to Detroit, and the car company offered the woman a wad of hush money.’
- ‘The officer, suspected of kidnap involvement, was also said to have received $10,000 in hush money not to expose a prostitution ring in Central Trinidad.’
- ‘I rely of course on their innate decency to not tell of the horrid things they have seen, or hopefully ask me for hush money before publicising the truth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.