One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oil lamp with a glass chimney, designed to protect the flame even in high winds.
- ‘As we talked by the light of a flickering hurricane lamp, some soldiers knelt on a prayer mat nearby.’
- ‘The store stocks candles, flashlights, carbide and hurricane lamps, solar-powered attic fans and much more.’
- ‘It gave six to seven times more light than the common hurricane lamp.’
- ‘When they predict a hurricane, you board up your windows, tether your boat, and clean your hurricane lamp.’
- ‘If there was thick fog, a man wearing a white apron would stand by the jack with a hurricane lamp so that play could continue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.