One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American informal A baseball pitcher.
- ‘That is also the most wins ever by a left-handed hurler.’
- ‘Five hurlers recalled recently their first and only taste of all-star action.’
- ‘‘He's got a funny spin on his fastball,’ the veteran hurler told Allen.’
- ‘The stubborn hurler stormed off the mound, refusing to pitch.’
- ‘This master of intercepting pitches with his body singled out one hurler as the most aggressive he faced.’
2A player of hurling.
- ‘For a player twice named hurler of the year, he had nothing to prove.’
- ‘Kevin was a gifted hurler and footballer who gave outstanding service to his club since his days playing at Under 10 level.’
- ‘He's a hurling man and he talks about the game as hurlers do.’
- ‘Over 30 players attended the meeting and were told county hurlers will get free gym membership this season.’
- ‘He is also a former hurler and footballer with his native club.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.