One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The activity of hunting wild animals or game, especially for food or sport.
blood sports, field sports, stalking, trapping, coursing, fox hunting, the chaseView synonyms
- ‘With wild lands cleared for agriculture and game hunting on the rise, populations of cougars and other large predators took heavy hits.’
- ‘Bulgaria's resources in the field of game farms and hunting are really great.’
- ‘For some Americans who grew up with different cultural influences or who live in parts of the country where hunting is popular, game birds are familiar fare.’
- ‘Advocates for banning foxhunting in England argue that hunting and killing animals with packs of dogs is cruel and unnecessary.’
- ‘This organisation was set up to defend and promote the use of terrier dogs in the hunting of wild animals.’
- ‘Big game hunting has long been a controversial topic.’
- ‘He said that a recent opinion poll suggested that 80 per cent of the British public believe that hunting wild mammals with dogs is cruel.’
- ‘Both were situated by the village's port, where the activities related to whale hunting had been pursued for almost a century.’
- ‘China does not allow hunting of these animals in the wild.’
- ‘As access to once remote forests grows, so does the risk of greater ‘bush meat’ hunting, or the hunting of wild animals for food.’
- ‘Game hunting in South Africa has flourished into a multi-million-rand industry and the Eastern Cape has surpassed all the other provinces in its success.’
- ‘The Inuit rely heavily on subsistence hunting of walruses, whales, seals, and other animals near the top of the food chain.’
- ‘Fishing and game hunting are different though, it's done for food and you generally don't tend to chase the animal over miles of countryside.’
- ‘But anti-hunt protesters say her story does not alter the fact that hunting is cruel to animals.’
- ‘The money which would need to go into policing a ban on hunting would be immense.’
- ‘She was the goddess of hunting, wild animals, childbirth, nature, and the harvest.’
- ‘Thus the kind of domination represented by big game hunting had altered significantly.’
- ‘In most other parts of Europe this type of hunting has been banned, I just can't understand it!’
- ‘The country was very rich in game before widespread hunting began.’
- ‘Wild hunting, fishing, and wood cutting are not allowed.’
A simple system of changes in which bells move through the order in a regular progression.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.