One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a naval vessel, especially a submarine) equipped to locate and destroy enemy vessels, especially other submarines.
- ‘The problem affects the fleet of 12 nuclear-powered hunter-killer submarines which carry conventional weapons.’
- ‘The unprecedented step of checking all our hunter-killer submarines, requiring two to return to the UK, is further evidence of our commitment to nuclear safety.’
- ‘In addition, one of the Navy's hunter-killer nuclear submarines had also been operating in the region, paying a port visit to Bahrain earlier in the year.’
- ‘Modern antisubmarine warfare is conducted by three major naval platforms: hunter-killer submarines; surface ships such as frigates and destroyers; and maritime patrol aircraft.’
- ‘Five of the Royal Navy's hunter-killer submarines have been found to be clear of the defect which forced HMS Tireless to put in at Gibraltar for repairs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.