Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of a nomadic people who live chiefly by hunting, fishing, and harvesting wild food.
- ‘When the first Aborigines arrived in Australia, at least 60,000 years ago, primitive humans all lived as hunter-gatherers; the beginnings of agriculture in the northern hemisphere were not yet apparent.’
- ‘Sometime during the last ice age nomadic tribes of hunter-gatherers from Asia first crossed the Bering Strait and entered the Western Hemisphere.’
- ‘The Aborigines were nomadic hunter-gatherers who did not have a concept of possessing territory or of deterring trespassers from it.’
- ‘Far from being wandering hunter-gatherers, some Aborigines lived in villages, traded and farmed.’
- ‘On the contrary, for people living as hunter-gatherers, it was a common practice, albeit disguised by various religious or cultural justifications.’
- ‘Few traces exist of the settlements of the earliest Palaeolithic hunter-gatherers in Southern France.’
- ‘It enabled them both to subdue the most resilient of the remaining classical empires (China, Japan, Ottoman), and to take over all the remaining areas occupied by barbarians and hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘This is how hunter-gatherers have lived for millennia.’
- ‘Most ethnic groups have a history in which they passed from being hunter-gatherers to farmers.’
- ‘The people of the period were nomadic hunter-gatherers which means that they have left little trace for the modern archaeologist.’
- ‘The Neanderthal people were roaming hunter-gatherers rather than village-dwellers.’
- ‘Over the centuries, they consolidated their power by trading portions of their harvests to the hunter-gatherers for land, as well as through inter-marriage.’
- ‘There were serious revolts during the course of the seventeenth-century, and raiding by the nomadic hunter-gatherers from the eastern parts of the region.’
- ‘These people were the descendants of the ancient hunter-gatherers of Europe.’
- ‘The two books reviewed here examine Spanish-native interactions and efforts to establish missions among groups of largely nomadic hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘Blades and tools were made in very similar ways at both sites, and the two sites may have been used by the same group of mobile hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘His primarily interest is in the Penan people, who live as hunter-gatherers in the forests.’
- ‘Among the exhibits are flint tools made by Mesolithic hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘To get an answer, one has to start with the beginning, the tens of thousands of years humans spent as nomadic hunter-gatherers.’
- ‘Why did people, after thousands of years as hunter-gatherers, settle down and start farming?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.