One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Suffering from a hangover after drinking alcohol.
- ‘Michelle arrives home slightly hung-over from the night before but still characteristically bright and chirpy.’
- ‘Are you sitting by yourself, eating corn chips, hung-over, depressed about your imminent breakdown, or the news?’
- ‘The following morning a very contrite, and hung-over rep made straight for Sunny to apologise profusely for his behaviour of the previous night.’
- ‘No, what struck him more was the palpable sense of depression, as if the entire country was feeling hung-over.’
- ‘He'll be hung-over tomorrow but I think he'll be fine.’
- ‘Julia looks hung-over and ravenous as she digs at the fried mushrooms on her plate.’
- ‘I'll probably be hung-over in the morning, but that'll be the best hangover ever.’
- ‘Even if you are tired, ill or hung-over and feeling really dopey, the brain is at its most lucid and uncluttered at that time of day.’
- ‘I was so tired that I slept through everything, and woke up late in the afternoon, refreshed, if not a little hung-over.’
- ‘You are constantly jet-lagged, knackered or hung-over.’
- ‘And most of the blonde wigs seemed to drain me of colour, making me look pale and strangely hung-over.’
- ‘Shouldn't he be at home, hung-over or something?’
- ‘After sleeping in and waking up slightly hung-over, I decide that today is the perfect day to go to the Vatican.’
- ‘Howard is hung-over today, quieter than he really is.’
- ‘You see, I'd creep home a few days later, out of money and hung-over, tired and upset.’
- ‘At home I'm all domestic and sweet, and on the road I do interviews hung-over.’
- ‘He rambles on in an affected monotone, gesticulates lazily, seeming something like a hung-over club promoter.’
- ‘Nine years ago, whilst hung-over, I fell in the shower - just like an old lady.’
- ‘He was so hung-over the next morning and it kinda made me laugh because it was my little brother's first hangover.’
- ‘Waking up to find a hung-over friend of a relative amongst the presents will certainly help that year stand out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.