A type of four-wheel-drive all-terrain military vehicle.
- ‘The Marines have captured two bridges and moved hundreds of tanks, armoured vehicles, fuel trucks, Humvees and other military vehicles across them in the past few days.’
- ‘He's at risk of getting mortared, and he has to move with the military in armored Humvees.’
- ‘That bomb directed against U.S. military Humvees as they drove past.’
- ‘Two days later, the ship carrying the battalion's Humvees arrived.’
- ‘A U.S. military convoy of Humvees came under attack just a short while ago.’
1980s: alteration, from the initials of high-mobility multi-purpose vehicle.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.