One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The bone of the upper arm or forelimb, forming joints at the shoulder and the elbow.
- ‘The humerus is the largest bone of the upper extremity.’
- ‘The rotator cuff is made up of a ring of muscles and ligaments that joins the head of the humerus to the shoulder joint.’
- ‘The elbow joint is formed by three bones; the humerus, radius, and ulna.’
- ‘The other concomitant injuries were bilateral serial rib fractures and fractures of both clavicles, scapula, humerus, and pelvis.’
- ‘Fractures of the humerus, scapula and clavicle usually result from a direct blow or a fall onto an outstretched hand.’
- 1.1Entomology A structure in an insect involving, or in the region of, the front basal corners of the wings or wing cases.
Late Middle English: from Latin, ‘shoulder’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.