Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A man, woman, or child of the species "Homo sapiens", distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate speech, and upright stance.
- ‘Yet these are human beings like you and me, people who think and feel, who hurt and can be hurt.’
- ‘For the cause of a human action is not an event at all, but an agent: a person, a human being.’
- ‘There's no room in this system for being treated like an individual human being.’
- ‘I am a mild mannered fellow with a respect for all good human beings and all religions and cultures.’
- ‘It is no use pointing out the obvious differences between human beings and all other animals.’
- ‘Each day he has looked at a key issue facing us as a nation, as a people, as frail human beings.’
- ‘I actually think that people had more chance to develop as rounded human beings in my school.’
- ‘He did not help me because of a divine instruction, but because of the shared values of human beings.’
- ‘We human beings differ from most animals in that we act upon nature to produce the things we want and need.’
- ‘People will argue that as intelligent human beings we are above basic instincts.’
- ‘To call this process a sport is insulting to the animals and degrading to human beings.’
- ‘One may also be born as a human being with severe mental and physical disabilities.’
- ‘We would not let an animal suffer like this, so why should a human being be left to suffer?’
- ‘At first sight, the distinction between a person and a human being might appear to be a specious one.’
- ‘It was appalling to see those broken bodies, human beings treated worse than dogs.’
- ‘It is as close to being a perfect food for them as it is for human beings and animals.’
- ‘Some men in this culture literally do not see women as human beings but as body parts.’
- ‘We may well decide that it was the most evil act ever perpetrated by human beings on fellow people.’
- ‘There is a great effort by many human beings to control the animal populations.’
- ‘The naked photo takes away these elements and shows the person as a human being.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.