One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small, round, edible blue-black berry related to the blueberry.
- ‘He works for two years in his Grandpa's store, picking huckleberries, and selling bait to local fisherman in order to save the fifty dollars needed to buy the hounds.’
- ‘I'm convinced that my huckleberry pie will get people to take me seriously as a bona fide pastry chef.’
- ‘These include berries, especially huckleberries, fruits, nuts, bulbs, and tubers.’
- ‘We have feasted not only on blackberries but also on huckleberries, plums, apples, lamb's quarters, and dandelions.’
- ‘If you want to give someone a huckleberry pie, I'll bake you one.’
- ‘In a single day, one scientist estimated, a grizzly may consume 400,000 huckleberries.’
- ‘Then came the Indians on their ponies to pick huckleberries and to fish.’
- ‘As I lightly sprinkle sugar over the huckleberries, the phone rings.’
- ‘Much of our food, such as huckleberries or blackberries, came from the woods.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the huckleberries, elderfloxver syrup, and lemon juice.’
2The low-growing North American shrub of the heath family that bears this fruit.
- ‘It was a wilderness of cathedral-like redwoods, of ferns and huckleberries, oaks and stately firs, and a myriad of flowers and wildlife.’
- ‘However, the fruit of the huckleberry is different in structure; it is not a true berry, but a drupe, a fruit with a hard stone.’
- ‘Recently, volunteer crews dug up a variety of forest plants including huckleberry, sword fern, deer fern and maple vine from the low elevation filtration site.’
- ‘The huckleberry is native throughout the Pacific Northwest, providing yet another avenue for spread of the disease.’
- ‘Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.’
Late 16th century: probably originally a dialect name for the bilberry, from dialect huckle ‘hip, haunch’ (because of the plant's jointed stems).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.