One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metal or plastic cover for the hub of a motor vehicle's wheel.
- ‘Others may opt for illuminated automobile hubcaps, which are internally lit, allowing a bright flash of style to customize any car.’
- ‘Nearly any hubcap of the correct size will fit any standard steel wheel that will take a hubcap.’
- ‘The explosion caused several vehicle parts such as the radiator and hubcaps to be thrown 40 meters away.’
- ‘Absent are oft-used automotive motifs such as cars, wheels, and hubcaps.’
- ‘You'll often come in and find someone has pinched the hubcaps or the wiper blades off the sales vehicles.’
- ‘It was really no surprise as the row houses had a huddled look to them and the only car on the street had spider web cracks over the windshield and was missing a hubcap.’
- ‘Don't reinvent the wheel, just put on a new hubcap.’
- ‘The floor mats have also accumulated their share of dirt and crumbs, the paint job and hubcaps have a few minor road dings, and the dashboard is dusty.’
- ‘There's wide variety of designs for the wheels including its wheel covers and hubcaps; each can fit every personality of a car enthusiast.’
- ‘I was laughing to myself that it was only a matter of time before it punctured a tyre on a car, when a bus drove over the hubcap and send it flying out from under the rear wheels.’
- ‘You know the wheel that my hubcap went missing from the other week?’
- ‘Wheel covers are commonly mixed up with hubcaps.’
- ‘The wheel area and hubcaps can be painted or non-painted, and be made of a variety of different materials.’
- ‘The damage was two rims beyond repair, two tyres damaged, two hubcaps damaged and the suspension damaged.’
- ‘The sleek lines, driver's side mirror, and moulded plastic hubcaps present an image more like the chariot of some ancient mechanical god than a compact sedan.’
- ‘In the old days eye-candy items such as a coachwork paint line or chrome hubcaps were the great standby, not to mention the vinyl roof.’
- ‘When reinstalling the wheel cover, use extreme care not to break or bend the retention clips, especially when it comes to hubcaps with plastic clips.’
- ‘The other players in the taxi advertising field place ‘New York boxes’ on the roof of cabs, use non-rotational vehicle hubcaps and wrap the advertising around the body of the car.’
- ‘The reserve was littered with old car tyres, hubcaps, couches, and up-ended shopping trolleys.’
- ‘Anyway, the hose led over and attached to the center of the hubcap on the rear tire on that side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.