One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounin phrase according to Hoyle
According to plan or the rules.
fair, honest, sporting, sportsmanlike, just, upright, law-abiding, chivalrous, honourable, according to the rules, according to hoyleView synonyms
- ‘If all had gone according to Hoyle, as you say, your client would have gone by now.’
- ‘The Ethics Commission, you'll recall, is the 10-year-old agency that decides whether the activities - particularly those involving campaign money - of the city's 18 elected officials are played according to Hoyle.’
- ‘Appoint some FBI lady to make sure things are done according to Hoyle.’
- ‘So today, play by the rules and live your life according to Hoyle.’
- ‘Let's see if that boy has got shooting down according to Hoyle.’
Early 20th century: from the name of Edmond Hoyle (1672–1769), English writer on card games.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.