One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
What the state of affairs is.‘let's keep it to ourselves until we see how the land lies’
the facts, the details, the particulars, the picture, how things stand, the lie of the land, how the land lies, the caseView synonyms
- ‘You know what you're doing here, you know how the land lies.’
- ‘Let's see how the land lies after Grafton Street opens, OK?’
- ‘Just to see how the land lies, I approached Dave Linley, who has been given the job of looking after the spare tickets.’
- ‘He's had a hand in one long-standing magazine and one that went under, so he seemed like the perfect person to show me how the land lies in the magazine world.’
- ‘Your response counts, because it tells them, and the BBC how the land lies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.