Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
What number.‘how many books did you sell?’
- ‘On Unix systems, there is a limit set in the kernel on how many open file descriptors are allowed on the system.’
- ‘Among other things, it can be used to find how many days old you are and the weekday you were born.’
- ‘How many people have your name?’
- ‘It's the strength and size of a drink that determines how many units it has.’
- ‘We would like to know how many calls does it take to evaluate the n th Fibonacci number if we follow the given recurrence.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.