One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Used to ask how great a distance is.‘they wanted to know how far he could travel’
- ‘I know there are buses, but how far is it to walk?’
- ‘If aviation fuel is noticeable at this distance from Gatwick, how far does it extend?’
- ‘How far is it around the lakes?’
2To what extent.‘he was not sure how far she was committed’
- ‘The increase shows just how far the town has come with regard to its war on litter in recent months.’
- ‘It is a sign of how far the lawless minority have taken over when they force milkmen to ride in pairs for safety's sake.’
- ‘This may have been the decision of one individual, I'm not sure how far it was pursued.’
- ‘Curators agonize over how far they should be seeking to educate or entertain.’
- ‘Not sure how far he got with it all, but there's a thread about his efforts somewhere about.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.